Sarcasm

>> Sunday, March 21, 2010

I've mentioned before that I love dialog. Well, I do. I think it's the sarcastic streak I have in me. I read something snarky, write something sarcastic and I tickle myself terribly.

If you glance at my favorite authors at the blog posts I did on all three blogs a few days back, you'll probably note more than my fair share of humor and sarcasm. There's a reason for that.

I love it.

I love clever comebacks and cruel wit. I love sarcasm and irony and humor. I love people who aren't afraid to say what they think in a clever way. I like when pretensions are squelched or people predisposed to prejudge have their expectations turned on end.

Heck, I live for that.

I read some of that today (Georgette Heyer) and read more reading through one of my own novels, looking for flaws.

Good stuff, if I say so myself.

4 comments:

  • Jeff King
     

    Great points... I find I can't write like that until me second rewrite. During composition I think I am doing it but on closer reading it is choppy and lifeless. I tend to do better when I reread my work solely looking to fix dialog issues.
    But great points to remember...

  • The Mother
     

    Here's the problem with sarcasm--it can be taken out of context and portrayed literally. Especially in print.

    Someone a while back was working on a sarcasm font. I think it's a marvelous idea. Especially if it stays with the text, as a watermark, when it is copied and pasted elsewhere.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    True, the Mother. Perhaps that's why I favor fiction.

  • Coach Purse
     

    Your blog is pretty good and impressed me a lot. This article along with the images is quite in-depth and gives a good overview of the topic.

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations